Location: Volunteers of America-Minnesota, 7625 Metro Blvd., Edina, MN 55439
Days/Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Participants: Family members who are providing care for an older adult in Minneapolis
Program Phone: 952-945-4173
Caregiver Support Services offers assistance, information, counseling, and respite services to family members who are caring for an older adult at your home or theirs. The Family Consultant can meet with you to determine what is needed, then either provides services directly to you or works with others to provide those services, which include:
- Coaching, counseling, information, support and practical assistance
- Coordination of community resources
- Respite services, either in the home or at community adult day programs.
The Family Consultant can help you build on your strengths and assist you in managing the challenges that are often part of caregiving. She brings knowledge, experience and understanding to her work. Her primary goal is to help you better manage your life and the life and health of your loved one.
Coaching, Counseling, Information, Support and Practical Assistance
- Coordination of Community Resources: Provides caregiver with information on available community resources as well as links caregiver to necessary services. Services such as homemaker, chore, legal assistance and transportation may be important to you as you balance your time and find ways to take care of yourself.
- Respite Services: Either in-home or at community adult day programs to take care of your loved one while you shop, visit a friend, or go to an appointment.
- Consultation: Professional consultation that assists caregivers with identifying their needs and then develop a personal action plan. Services under this heading may include family counseling; problem solving; financial and legal counseling; coaching to build knowledge and skills so that caregivers can make decisions and provide care that meets both their own needs and those of their loved one.